pygtk vs. wxPython

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Fri May 17 07:01:32 EDT 2002

Thomas Guettler || Fri 17 May 2002 03:50:41a:

> Hi!
>
> I investigated during the last weeks which is better:
> +pygtk or wxpython.
>
> After programming some code with both libraries, I prefer
> pygtk.
>
> I prefere pygtk because wxpython has an extra layer in
> the library stack:
>
> wxpython -- wxwindows -- wxgtk -- gtk
>
> pygtk -- gtk

I've never used pygtk, but i'll just mention that the library stacks on
windows would look something like:

wxpython -- wxwindows -- win32api

pygtk -- gtk -- win32api

Which is a bit more even. Also, aren't there other render-modules for wx
under linux than the gtk one? It's been a while since i played with it,
so I'm not really sure anymore-- all i remeber is that wx itself was a
gigantic pain to build at the time (or was it the python part that
failed... :\ ).

I really don't know if it's appropriate to base this decision on how
many libraries it takes for you to use the toolkit though...

--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com