XML-RPC Question

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Fri Mar 15 02:32:50 EST 2002

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, jolsen at mailme.dk (Jesper Olsen) transmitted:
> "Thomas Weholt" <thomas at gatsoft.no> wrote in message news:<L41k8.70$5Kn.175400448 at news.telia.no>...
> > I'm not sure about this, but I think SimpleXMLRPCServer only provide access
> > to the methods of the object you "publish", in your example the methods of
> > MyClass, nothing else.
> >
> > system.listMethods() comes from .... .NET ??
> >
> > I migth be wrong, and if so, please let me know.
> >

> No, not from .NET
>
> system.listMethods() is from the XML RPC introspection API
> - se section 11.20.1 in the python reference doc
>
> It is nice to have when connecting to servers you have not written yourself.
>
> It should be very easy to support it in the SimpleXMLRPCServer,
> but I guess it is not quite a standard, so they did not bother

... And it's not necessarily forcibly supportable.

For instance, it's possible to register a bunch of Perl packages to
dynamically accept requests.  When that happens, the set of methods
can get augmented (or perhaps even decremented) at runtime, and
there's not really a good way of saying what the "list" of methods
are.

You might not want to list them all, for security reasons.  (Not that
this is forcibly protective of terribly much...)
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/