Porting a Python app to IRIX -- need help

Nhi Vanye offer at sgi.com
Mon Mar 25 16:33:49 EST 2002

$ from jody at adsl-216-62-149-210.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net -#190497 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"

>"Paul F. Dubois" <dubois at users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> I am trying to get a Python-based app running on an SGI running IRIX 6.5. I
>> am running into a problem involving some objects being compiled "n32" and
>> others "o32". The linker refuses to link them.
>>
>> I got pretty far by setting environment variable CC to "cc" but then it
>> complained that the X11 library is o32. Can an SGI person tell me whether
>> o32 or n32 is "normal" and what I tell the compiler to be sure I get that?
>>

>To force the compilers and linkers to use only one ABI set the
>environment variable SGI_ABI for example:
>
>setenv SGI_ABI "-n32"

This doesn't always work (for example you don't appear to be able to do
"-n32 -mips3" to guarantee building mips3 on a mips4 platform.

Other tricks I've used in the past (for other projects) is to con autoconf
by running.

	./configure --x-libraries=/usr/lib32

It might work for python, I haven't tested it.

Anyway, back to the question, n32 is "normal", you'll get much better
performance from the compilers, and all the system applications are n32
(which means you wont need to have two copies of libc in memory)

>Jody Winston

richard.
--
Richard Offer                         Technical Lead, Trust Technology.
"Specialization is for insects"