Windows versions of Python---pros and cons?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 20 13:46:12 EDT 2002

Fernando Pérez wrote:
> If you're an old unix hand and want to preserve your sanity, you have two
>
> 1- put linux on that laptop and be happy.

I have to concur. I am mostly a Linux user, but when I use Python on
Windows, I really have a hard time with it. It's nothing to do with
Python, and everything to do with Windows. Windows simply does not
provide a programing enviroment that will feel at all productive to
someone used to *nix. I run Linux on a Dell laptop, and am very happy
with it.

On that note: does anyone know if there is a way to turn a Python script
into something that acts like an application on Windows...without
resorting to Py2exe and the like. What I want is something just like:

chmod +x scriptname
and a #! line at the top

on Unix. I want it to work on the windows command line.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov