How to capture stdout into a string?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jun 9 14:12:03 EDT 2002

Michael Davis wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> [...]
> > The best option by far (and really the easiest) to figure out
> > stuff like this is to check the source.
> >
> Thanks again, Peter. I would have accepted the answer RTFM too - I realized
> that I hadn't read the FTP.dir() documentation carefully enough!

:-)  Actually, I assumed you already had RTFM, and my comment above
was really meant to be "best option by far (assuming you've read the
docs) ...."  I didn't bother checking the manual to see if it said
the same.

Still helpful sometimes to read the source.  Never know when you'll pick
up a useful turn of phrase or two.

-Peter