postscript processing in python

David Bear david.bear at asu.edu
Wed Jun 12 12:31:07 EDT 2002

I'm looking for tools to assist in postscript processing and pdf generation
in python.  Hoping to find 'free' code -

I'm looking for something that will

1) validate and correct questionable postscript  (check document structure)
2) convert postscript to pdf
3) convert text to postscript

I know these are tall orders but I've written a filter in python that takes
a postscript stream generated by an IBM mainframe and uses ghostscript to
convert it to pdf.  The problem is ghostscript seems rather picky about
some strange things that the mainframe puts in the postscript stream -- so
I was hoping to do some cleanup on it and conversion without having to
depend on ghostscript.

Any pointers appreciated.

--
David Bear