Mono and Python

Don Tuttle tuttledon at mailandnews.com
Thu Jan 3 12:40:25 EST 2002

[Don]
>> does anyone knows how this <Python.NET> compares to Perl.NET?

[Brian Quinlan]
> Mark's Python .NET prototype actually compiles Python code down to IL
> for execution by the CLR (common language runtime). Perl .NET works in a
> completely different fashion - bridge code is generated but the usual
> Perl interpreter is still used at runtime.

I think what your referring to is called PerlNET (no dot, see
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/NET  You gotta love marketing people ;-).

What I'm  curious about is how their experimental Perl compiler compares to
their Python compiler.  And for that matter whether the Perl .NET compiler
project is still alive.

Don