High-resolution timers

Bryan bryan at eevolved.com
Wed Jan 16 10:42:35 EST 2002

Hi All,

I am searching for a platform-agnostic high resolution timer module to use
in various entropy collection schemes for cryptographic purposes. The
standard time module is great on my system ( i686 linux ) :

>>> import time
>>> time.time()
1011195116.002301

It gives me microsecond precision, and for that I am grateful. But the
module documentation warns:

"Note that even though the time is always returned as a floating point
number, not all systems provide time with a better precision than 1 second."

I understand that the precision of the timer is hardware-dependent... But
can someone give me an example of a platform on which time.time() has a
resolution of less than 1 millisecond ?

Thank-you.
--
Bryan Mongeau
http://eevolved.com
0x50C5F276 at pgp.mit.edu
--
"Eventually software systems will be able to create bold new designs
without human help. Will most people call such systems intelligent? It