Binary Python file.

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Feb 6 13:19:07 EST 2002

Philip Swartzleonard wrote:

> Lukasz Pawelczyk || Tue 05 Feb 2002 01:46:09a:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a possibility to make a binary python file?
> > I would like to hide the code in unix environment.
>
> Well, the compile function listed here will give you a pyc file...
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-pycompile.html#l2h-3816
>
> ...but from what i've heard it's only a little bit better then say, rot-13,
> for keeping people out of your source. It will probably keep out the
> slightly curious, the incapable, and those of us who just don't care what's
> in there :)

And really, *nothing* will keep out the capable who *do* care, so...  >shrug<

Hiding code has proved to be of only marginal benefit.  (How many hidden-code
commercial projects can you find cracks for on scores of warez sites?)  If
someone wants to reverse-engineer your code badly enough, they will.    :)

(A well-written license does more to prevent unauthorized copying, than any
amount of code-hiding and disc-key-based systems.  Just tell people how you
want them to treat it, and ask them to play nice.)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International