Scripting C++ -- Boost.Python vs CORBA vs ???

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Mon Feb 25 19:32:42 EST 2002

I've been interested in systems for automatically wrapping C++ and
generating documentation for a while, so I downloaded the PDT (the parser
toolkit used by SILOON) and tried it on one of my source files. After lots
of hacking, I was able to get the EDG front-end component to parse my source
and generate an intermediate language (.cil) file, but the PDT executable
which is supposed to interpret the .cil and produce a high-level description
of the code crashed with an assertion:

Assertion failed: ptr->assoc_template, file c:\documents and
settings\bertie\desktop\finalwinstuff\taucpdisp\src\disp-tau\il_display_tau.
c, line 3047

Since the PDT doesn't come with source, there was no way for me to debug/fix
the problem.
Furthermore, the PDT developers don't seem to want to be reached. Their
contact page (http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/paracomp/pdtoolkit/) says:

    To contact the developers of PDT, please use the "Comments" section in
the download page.

But of course, there is no "Comments" section on the download page. :=(

-Dave

"Craig Maloney" <cmaloney at physics.ucsb.edu> wrote in message
news:3C7A751D.1080703 at physics.ucsb.edu...
> Hi Craig.
>
> Since your site specifically lists g++ 2.95 and NOT 3.x, am I to infer
> that there will be problems with the new ABI?  -- Or any problems that
> will, in practice or principle, cause conflicts with g++ 3.0?
>
> *Holds breath... and crosses fingers...*
>
> --Craig
>
> rasmussn at lanl.gov wrote:

> >> I haven't had any experience with it. I just found that site. My
> >> skepticism
> >> just dropped by a factor of 8. If they are really using the EDG
> >> front-end as
> >> they claim to, then I am sure the parser is excellent. I do have to
> >> wonder
> >> who is paying for the FE. The issues of dealing with the semantics of
> >> what
> >> they've parsed remain, but these guys at least seem to be doing the
> >> parsing
> >> part right.
> >

> > It is my understanding that an educational or research license to the
EDG