Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 21 10:28:24 EST 2002

In message <mailman.1040458888.18733.python-list at python.org>, Laura Creighton
wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:06:47 -0600, Aaron K. Johnson
> > <akjmicro at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > (edit)
> > >Tell him to be friendly! I have little patience for the Erik Naggum
> > >wannabe...I've already experienced the original.
> >
> > This doesn't justify the rudeness, but I have noticed some persnickity
> > posts from LISPers in comp.lang.python.
> >
> > On a regular basis...  Persnickity and worse...
> >
> > I confess, I lost my temper today too (in the real world).  I feel
> > very bad about it, but there are certainly people who would try
> > anyone's patience.  Basically, I don't want to throw stones at AKJ
> > when I live in a glass house.
> >
> > Manuel
> > --
>
> If we are throwing stones at him, then we are doing it wrong, and need
> to improve. (The image I had was dousing a fire with a bucket of cold
> water).  The idea is to provide a solid and decent environment so that
> it becomes easier to not lose your temper when beset from the idiots.
> If we have to wait until we are all perfect at suffering fools, we
> will never get there.  You have to make the effort even though you
> aren't all that good at it, because it is the only way to get better.
> Suggestions, AKJ on how to do a better job when somebody loses his
> temper?
>
> Laura Creighton

Thanks Laura,

One thing I might say is that however ridiculous a post may appear (i.e. my
post that brought a scornful response from Mr. Foley), that some decent and
kind querying/correction take place instead of impolite scorn.

This would bypass the need for people correcting the behavior of anyone who
felt hurt enough, or unfairly treated enough, to have as explosive reaction as
I did.

Incidentally, I referred to Erik Naggum of comp.lang.lisp, who I had a row with
last year (same reason-he chose insult over 'edification') Mr. Foley appears no
better, and in fact, tries to push my buttons again today be re-posting Mr.
Naggum's responses to me from last year.

Apparantly, he wants the ghost of that annoying experience to hover over me.
Let me swallow my pride and apologize to all those (including Paul Foley) who
were subjected to my wrathful reply.I will ignore Mr. Foley's posts until he
apologizes for his initial snub, or addresses issues directly relating to
python in a civil manner. I have no desire to continue witnessing Naggum style
bile on a daily basis.

Best,
Aaron.