Quotes

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Fri Dec 20 11:29:59 EST 2002

In article <3E02E75C.A73B9E3E at alcyone.com>,
 Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

> > In hopes of staving off 20 follow-ups correcting this: it is wrong.
>
> So was your moving the period outside of the quotation marks in "US
> quoting style."  That's just as invalid in the US as it is in the UK.
> It's common in some circles, but not in terms of strict typographical
> correctness.

It is just as correct as inside-the-quotes, which is to say that you
should do whichever the stylebook of your publication says.  If you are
publishing on usenet, of course, you are free to use bad grammar, bad
spelling, and what some people will perceive as bad punctuation.  Since
this is a programming group, I will say that it is absurd to violate the
nesting structure of the punctuation.  In Python, a period inside a
quote is just another character, while one outside the quote can have
its usual meaning.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/