Wet Dream--python to native compiler

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Sat Dec 14 12:31:20 EST 2002

news:<mailman.1039843279.31621.python-list at python.org>...

> > > Why isn't that possible anymore?
> > >
> > > Steve
> > > --
> >
> > 1. Universities aren't impressed by Compiler Writing any more. (Been
> >    done before, they say).
>
> I don't understand that.  That is like not allowing a book to be
> written for a thesis because other PhD students have written books
> before.  A book?  been there. done that :).

That's not the same thing. A Ph.D. dissertation is supposed to advanced
the knowledge of the field. Writing a compiler for a language using
existing concepts from the compiler wrtiting body of knowledge doesn't
really do that.

Having said that, from what other people have been indicating are the
issues with writing a good Python compiler, it's possible that solving
these problems could be a thesis/dissertation. Compiler writing is not
my area so I can't really make that call.

<snip>

Dave