alternate to sunfreeware.com?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Dec 6 11:22:17 EST 2002

Sorry for the off-topic post - this is my best source of info related to
building software.

I've been handed a SPARC Ultra-10 and am trying to get stuff installed on
it, eventually Python.  Bootstrapping a compiler is a problem, because it
doesn't really come with a usable compiler.  I tried gcc.gnu.org which
pointed me to www.sunfreeware.com as a source of a binary GCC distribution.
Alas, that site looks like it's down and has been for a couple days.

Is there some other (free beer) way to get a working compiler installed on
this machine?  Before I try what will surely seem like a death march (GCC is
oh so big and this machine isn't all that swift), will the feeble
/usr/ucb/cc actually compile the GCC source?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com
http://www.mojam.com/
http://www.musi-cal.com/