I'm coming from Tcl-world ...

Robert Amesz sheershion at mailexpire.com
Sat Aug 3 23:08:58 EDT 2002

Andreas Leitgeb wrote:

> [common answer:  for(;;)  is rubbish, use "while" or "for ... in"
> instead.]
>
> Here, I think, I didn't make my concern clear enough:
>  in C/C++ (and similar in Tcl) I can do the following:
>    for (int i=0,string s="*" ; i<42 ;  i++,s+=s) {
>       if (...) continue;
>    }
>  More and better examples of where a simple range/list/dictionary-
>  traversal just won't do it, surely exist.

As C-style goes this isn't a very pretty piece of code, especially
since you seem bent on building a string of 2**42 '*' characters. That
is a bit over the top, not to mention an exceedingly dull read. ;-)
Presumably you meant s += "*". That assumed, and also assuming you
don't modify i in the loop, here's the Python equivalent.

for i in range(42):
    s = "*" * (i + 1)
    if ...:
        continue

BTW, using 'continue' is pretty rare, in my experience; 'break' is
_much_ more common.

>> 4.) "calls by reference":  def f( x ) : x=42
> [common answer: use mutable containers instead, e.g.: ]
> [  def f(x): x[0]=42    ]
> [  x= a list, containing my object as first (and perhaps only)
> element  ] [  f(x);     then,  x[0] outside of f is  still 42 ]
> It's not exactly what I fancied, but near enough :-)

_Don't_ use a one element list: that's misleading to anyone (including
yourself) who reads that code later. If you don't wan't to use a full-
fledged class (including initializer function) just do:

class simple:
    	pass

If you really, _really_ need a mutable numeric type you could make one
yourself by imlementing a class which emulates a numeric type (see ch.
3.3.6 of the Python manual) but that shouldn't be necessary. More
importantly: please check _why_ you need a reference to an immutable
object. Usually you'll find that:

 1 - That immutable object could/should be grouped with other ones to
form a proper class, or:

 2 - The call-by-reference is needed because you need to have more than
one return value. Most languages have this limitation, but in Python
you can return as many values as you like, in a tuple. Then you'd get
something like:

def func(x):
    x = 42
    return (your_return_value, x)

x = 43
value, x = func(x)

- - -

The examples you give are typical ones if you try to emulate C-style in
Python. However, if you approach Python as Python you'll find nearly
all of those problems mysteriously and conveniently disappear. Well,
perhaps not that mysteriously: Python allows you to program at a much
higher level of abstraction than C, and with a lot fewer implementation
details worry about. Programming in Python is many times faster and a
lot less error prone than doing the same job in C, but if you approach
Python as C-with-a-strange-syntax you lose much of that advantage.

I'm not quite sure how Python compares to TCL as my experience with
that language is anything but extensive. The everything-is-a-string
paradigm is interesting and pretty unique, but also limiting. The
syntax seems to have been designed to help the interpreter rather than
the programmer, (IMHO, of course.) I suppose it will take a little
while for someone with that background to switch styles.

Robert Amesz