Jython on Mac OS X

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Sun Aug 18 17:57:43 EDT 2002

On 18/8/2002 14:44, in article 3D5F6BF0.502 at earthlink.net, "Ron Stephens"
<rdsteph at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Does anyone use Jython on Mac OS X? I am thinking of buying an iMac for
> my son for Christmas, we like the operating system and the flat panle
> screen and superdrive.
>
> My son, like myself, uses Jython for writing scripts that he then uses
> on his Sharp Zaurus.
>
> I am hoping someone can confirm that Jython runs well on the Mac, or
> else warn me of the pitfalls.

I've used Jython successfully on OS X 10.1 in the past to do real work.
Though I mostly ran it in the Java debugger as a convenient shell for
probing Java classes.

It works really well with the OS X development environment as a default
class when doing Java development: just add the jython.jar into the
CLASSPATH of your project, set 'org.python.util.jython' to be your default
class, set breakpoints, run project, instantiate objects, call methods, and
see what happens. Very cool.

I just tried installing it again under 10.2 to see how it runs:

% ~/jython-2.1/jython pystone.py
Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 11.28
This machine benchmarks at 4432.62 pystones/second

Not *too* shabby (for comparison with standard Python see below).

> By the way, in playing around in the store with Mac OS X 10.2, ti seems
> that Python 2.2 is pre-loaded.

Yup:

% /usr/bin/python
Python 2.2 (#1, 07/14/02, 23:25:09)
[GCC Apple cpp-precomp 6.14] on darwin

% /usr/bin/python pystone.py
Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 6.51
This machine benchmarks at 7680.49 pystones/second

It appears to be a non-framework build, but it does have the Mac extension
modules as far as I can see.

Jonathan