PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Apr 3 03:41:33 EST 2002

    David> Alex Martelli wrote:
    >> Seconded.  _I_ am going to steal it (if I get Laura's
    >> permission, and if the PEP is rejected) for the Nutshell, for
    >> sure...

    David> I like it too.  Explaining Pythonic truth always seemed a
    David> little convoluted, but Laura's description is right on the
    David> ball.

Yup, I got very uneasy after reading the PEP and Tim Peters's posts on
it, and tried to post something with very similar motivation a couple
of days ago.  I lacked the experience and vocabulary to express it.
Thanks, Laura!

    David> I'm not sure how it translates to other languages.

In Japanese, even better than in English (where None can mean "the
void before creation", the primordial Exception).

It's "yuumu" (U+6709 U+7121) == "is some", "is not some."