Python-2.2.1, Solaris7, make test fails...

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 18 08:59:45 EDT 2002

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> writes:

> Yes.  Does this mean that my Solaris2.7 system is broken, or is this a
> problem with Solaris2.7 generally?

I'm still not sure what happens on your system - this is the first
report in a long time where linking fails to export symbols from the
Python binary - the last report was a few years ago, and lead to the
add of -Wl,-export-dynamic.

In general, Python builds on Solaris out-of-the-box, both with GCC and
with the SunPRO compiler. The problems with non-PIC code only occurs
in the following case:
- users have installed additional non-Sun packages, such as ncurses,
  or GNU readline;
- they use GCC
- they do not use GNU binutils

For that case, the default installation is a best-effort scenario: all
extensions that can be built successfully will be; for the other
(usually few) extensions, manual intervention is necessary and
possible.

There is a recent new kind of failure on Solaris, where people use gcc
3. This installs libgcc_s.so.1, and links binaries with it, but the
Solaris ld.so.1 won't find libgcc_s.so at run time. Again, there are
different ways to solve this - but I'd consider this a problem of the
GCC 3 installation.

Regards,
Martin