python and very large data sets???

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 26 13:25:29 EDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:55:24 -0500
Gustavo Cordova wrote:

> MySQL holds it's own managing *huge* datasets, and it's *VERY*
> (yes, in capital letters and surrounded with asterisks) fast
> about doing it's work.
>
> Just don't expect transactions, nor references. Strictly flat
> table stuff.
>
> Bloody-evilly-fast, though.

Very:

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=23115,00.asp

I've never tried it, but you _can_ get full transaction support if you use
MySQL-Max and Berkley DB or InnoDB tables rather than the standard ISAM tables.
 I don't know how large an effect this would have on performance.  The PC Labs
testers used a mixed-table approach for testing (InnoDB and ISAM).

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-max-3.23.html

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)