Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 4 23:37:43 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote in message
> [Steve Holden]
> > Nope. If Tim were married, you would write about his and his wife's home
> > (assuming they lived together) as the Peters's home. Since (and how
> > could it be else) there is only one Tim, you should write about Tim
> > Peters' way of thinking.
>
> Well, if there is only one Tim, we should drop the redundant surname and
> just say it's Tim's simulation of thinking.

That would probably be perfectly comprehensible to about 80% of this group's
readership.

> BTW, doesn't this look fishy to you (s/Peters/Holden/)?:
>
>    Nope. If Steve were married, you would write about his and his wife's
>    home (assuming they lived together) as the Holden's home.  Since (and
>    how could it be else) there is only one Steve, you should write about
>    Steve Holden' way of thinking.

Not fishy, just plain wrong. But a global replacement of this nature makes
about as much sense as replacing all the colons in a Python program with
semicolons. There are rules, you know. [Sorry, I forgot, you're American]
;-)

> When I was about 12, a teacher said Peter's or Peters's was acceptable for
> the singular possessive (I stuck with Peters's), and Peterses' for the
> plural (I stuck with Peters', and got extra credit later <wink>).
>
> > but-then-i'm-english-so-what-do-i-know-ly y'rs  - steve
>
> You *should* know that America fought a bloody war to get away from your
> illogical grammar rules, and it can happen again.

Away with your nonsense. You just couldn't stand paying taxes to finance the
English in their attempts to steal land (and just about everything else)
from everybody else in the world. You wanted to steal this land for
yourselves.

> still-confused-about-fingersbreadth-vs-fingerbreadth's-ly y'rs  - tim

fingersbreadth is the plural unit of measurement, fingerbreadth's is the
possessive of one of them.

"When the size of the disks is increased to five fingersbreadth, less than a
fingerbreadth's span separates them".

or-did-you-mean-fingerbreadths-ly y'rs  - steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/