Python .elc and /etc/magic

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Nov 14 07:27:34 EST 2001

    >> And even, if one knows the proper incantations, how do we proceed
    >> then for having that `/etc/magic' file more universally modified?

    Michael> I have no idea.  I hope it's not a case of badgering each
    Michael> distro separately...

I hope not, but you never know.  From the file(1) man page:

    History

           Primary  development and maintenance from 1990 to the pre-
           sent by Christos Zoulas (christos at astron.com).

           Altered by Chris Lowth, chris at lowth.com, 2000: Handle  the
           ``-i''  option  to  output  mime type strings and using an
           alternative magic file and internal logic.

           Altered by Eric Fischer (enf at pobox.com),  July,  2000,  to
           identify  character codes and attempt to identify the lan-
           guages of non-ASCII files.

    Availability
           You can obtain the original  author's  latest  version  by
           anonymous   FTP   on   ftp.astron.com   in  the  directory
           /pub/file/file-X.YY.tar.gz

My guess is that if you send mods to all three of those people, one of them
will be able to wedge them into the distribution.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)