Reading & Writing Python OK, Now I need to Speak It

Don O'Donnell donod at home.com
Thu May 10 00:39:39 EDT 2001

Hi All,

I have a question I've never seen mentioned on this newsgroup.  A google
search turned up nothing.

How do you say (pronounce) "__init__", for example.  Having to say
"double-underscore-double-underscore-init-double-underscore-double-underscore"
gets awfully tedious after a while.

I know there are quick-speak names for "!" (bang) and "*" (splat), but
I've never heard one for "_".  The best that I could come up with is
"bar".  bar-bar-init-bar-bar, or better maybe,
double-bar-init-double-bar, isn't too bad.
What do people who actually _talk_ Python use?  Up until now, all my
Python has been strictly reading and writing it, being the sole Python
programmer at work.  But now that I've finished my first major O-O
project in Python, in 1/4 the time it would've taken in any other
language, other people have taken notice, and I'm being asked to teach
them Python.  Hence the need to speak Python with some fluency.

Thanks
-Don