Unresolved symbols in MSVCRT.DLL when running a py2exe packaged program.

Thomas Heller thomas.heller at ion-tof.com
Thu Mar 1 06:49:40 EST 2001

"Parzival Herzog" <parz at home.com> wrote in message news:RKln6.6630$hn5.853203 at news1.rdc1.mb.home.com...
> I have a Python application (which uses the wxPython extension) that I have
> packaged
> for distribution with py2exe.  The dfistributed app works on my own
> computer,
> and on another machine I have, which has never seen any Python software, nor
> any
> development software (i.e. no dll's not a part of a standard Win2000
> installation are present).
>
> I delivered my app to my client, who is expected to modify some
> configuration code, then
> use py2exe to package the app, and run the packaged app on a server machine.
> My client
> has a notebook computer, running Win NT (Sp 6), plus MsVc and assorted
> development tools.
> My app worked on that noebook, and py2exe again packaged the app and the
> package was
> copied to the server machine, a Win NT sp 6 desktop computer. When we
> attempted to
> start the app, it failed immediatly, with the message that the symbol
> ??_U at YAPAXI@Z could
> not be found in MSVCRT.DLL.
[...]

You should try and simply delete the MSVCRT.DLL which py2exe copies
into the dist directory for your application and try to run the app.
MSVCRT.DLL is a system file, which means that it should live in the
system (or system32) directory, and it should only be upgraded with
proper version checking.
Installer programs (like WISE or Inno Setup) can do this for you,
you should not do it 'manually' (normally you cannot replace it manually
because it is in use by the system).

I intend to change the next version (0.2.4) of py2exe in a way that
these system files are _not_ copied into the dist directory.

Thanks for trying it,

Thomas Heller