Is this a true statement?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Jun 24 20:31:55 EDT 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:29:24 -0400, D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:

>When I read the original question I got the impression that
>"write a device driver in Python" meant "A person sits down at
>a console with a text editor, writes some Python code that
>implements the device's spec in terms of the driver API
>specified by the kernel".

That's what the author meant, and what everybody understood
(with the possible exception of David Ullrich).

One could use a "deeply embedded" Python bytecode interpreter
running inside the kernel to allow the user to write a driver
in Python.  It would take a fair amount of work, but I don't
think it would be particularly difficult -- at least under
Linux.  People have already a lot of the requied work in order
to run a Python interpreter on embedded systems.

Sounds like a good MS project to me...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  - if it GLISTENS,
                                  at               gobble it!!