Deposing Dictators

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Jul 27 00:47:24 EDT 2001

[Robin Becker]
> If, as I claim, Python  wins or loses on its usefulness at real
> programming tasks then eventually it must improve either real
> performance or real utility.
>
> I don't see that happening with the grand unification;

Yet Guido's employer does:  the extreme pain needed to implement Python
classes in C "the good old way things have always been" has been a thorn in
Zope's side all along; Jim Fulton has far more important things to do than
keep his hoary ExtensionClasses machinery working (removing the need for
which is a primary goal of the unification project).

> although keeping the 'div' operator is at least a nod in the
> direction of all those who want to split their lists in two.

There was never a second's consideration given to dropping div-style
division; if you thought there was, too bad, but if so you were wrong.

still-hoping-that's-not-the-limit-of-your-notion-of-utility-ly y'rs  - tim