license suggestions?

Chris Watson chris at voodooland.net
Sun Jul 8 20:44:52 EDT 2001

> This seems really strange to me. So you are saying you can integrate it
> into any proprietary product without problems? You can intergrate it into
> perl, python etc with their various licenses. Why do you specifically not
> want anyone to integrate it with GPL code but allow everything else?

Strange? Not that I dont know where this will end up but how is wanting to
keep the GPL (which would add restrictions to my code that *I* did not
place on it) from infecting my licensed code strange? I release everyone
can choose their OWN licenses. I have NO problem with that. The thing's I
have problems with are the fact that A) you can GPL BSD licensed code.
Which I do NOT want to happen or I would of GPL'ed it in the first place.
To butcher a Roger Waters song "Keep your filthy GPL off my desert". :-)
B) I fail to see how someone coming along and GPL'ing my code without my
permission is fair. Or ethicly right. Now had I used a standard 2 clause
FreeBSD license I would have no recourse to bi*ch about that. Since the
BSD license allows for that. So instead of bit*hing about it I just a 3rd
clause effectivlely saying "Sorry GPL people go play elsewhere". The license
as shown above places no restrictions on "code use". Simply the licensing
terms. Nothing more or less. You can do whatever you wish with the code. Make
it binary only and keep your secret modifications secret, release them with
source, whatever you wish. You just can't add any restrictions to my code.
Like the GPL. Or you would violate the license and I will sue you.
Everyone can choose to license their code as they see fit it's a free
country. I simple dont want the GPL to inflict itself on my code or I
would of licensed it under the GPL to begin with. :-)
Some of us like capitolsim more then communism. *shrug*

Chris