I will kill my Python

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Jan 19 13:27:11 EST 2001

"Dan Rolander" <dan.rolander at marriott.com> writes:

> Although I have found ways to create minimal private distributions and
> single exe packages, it's not easy. There needs to be a better deployment
> solution for Python scripts. I'm sure I'll get bashed by those who think I
> should just install the full Python distribution on any machine that I want
> to run a script on, but I support about 25,000 Windows desktops and that's
> just not feasible.

Within the Windows world, I just want to point out that while the
initial learning curve may be somewhat steep, once you've grasped
Gordon's installer tool (and yes, Tk just happens to make it a bit
steeper - luckily I use wxWindows), and combined it with a setup tool
(like the free InnoSetup) yes, it really is easy to make single
distribution/exe packages.

That is, when I'm done with an application nowadays, I just run
builder on it, then run the InnoSetup compiler, and boom - I have a
"setup.exe" that works precisely like any other setup out there and
can be distributed and installed exactly like any other Windows
application.

So the current cost/pain is really an up front one-time cost and not a
constant one, which at least for me is an acceptable state to be in,
and it's true of many other packages and systems that I use in daily
development.

Of course, simplifying this process is always good, and I'm sure any
efforts in that direction will always be welcome :-)

--
-- David