Why does using threads not speed up things?

Sean Reifschneider jafo-pythonlist at tummy.com
Thu Jan 25 04:54:02 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:33:36AM +0100, Franz GEIGER wrote:
>As I said I'd expected more, because there is a lot of slow disk I/O
>involved and data transfer over a 10MBit section of our LAN. Or did I miss
>something?

I think you missed the part where you're supposed to profile your code to
determine exactly where the time is being spent.  For example, it may
be that you can get a big win on typical traffic by running it through
the zlib module to compress the data-stream.  If you have more CPU than
bandwidth.

The gains you might achieve depend largely on what your app is doing,
of course.  If it spends 90% of it's time trying to shove data over the
network, the best improvement you can hope for without reducing the amount
of data you send is 10%, right?

Sean
--
 "Action...  Romance...  Welding...  That movie has everything."
                 -- Evelyn Mitchell speaking about _Subway_, 1998