I mean *setup.py* ! ... (more questions)[Re: libraries=['m'] inconfig.py [Re: Python 2.1 alpha 1 released!]]

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Thu Jan 25 12:51:20 EST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Thomas Heller wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at lemburg.com> wrote in message news:mailman.980419470.4109.python-list at python.org...
> >
> > Please post these suggestions on the Python bugs listm, Python-Dev
> > or Andrew Kuchling who wrote the setup.py script -- the
> > distutils approach to auto-configuring Python's builtin modules
> > is very new and still needs some refinements.
> >
> Andrew and Guido seem to have zero interest in supporting
> platforms other than linux/unix.
>
> Thomas

 I've gotten some quick responses from Andrew on this and other OSX
specific bugs I've posted at SourceForge. I think they have the
interest in having Python supported on those platforms, but they
can't do the testing on all those platforms and have to rely on
other folks submitting bugs and patches.

 They seem to have fixed most of the Mac OSX problems that were in
the 2.0 release. The problem is that the new setup and configure
method fixed a few and broke a few more things.
 The only things they haven't really fixed are the things for which
we (Mac OSX Python users) haven't given them a consensus on how it
ought to be fixed or handled. ( Or things like the case insensitivity
problems which can't be fixed in the obvious simple way ( changing
the names of modules so there can't be any confusion ) without some
backwards compatibility problems. )

 Also: Mac and Windows require so many additional modules that they
really need a separate distribution to manage them. The trick is to
keep it simple to be able to merge the platform specific stuff into
a new standard distribution. I think that's part of the goal of the
new setup and using disutils. I *hope* it's like the highway construction
signs: "Temporary Inconvenience, Permanent Improvement!"

-- Steve Majewski