How to determine own IP

Bryan Mongeau bryan at eevolved.com
Mon Feb 19 21:44:59 EST 2001

Michael Bauer wrote:

> Bryan Mongeau wrote:
>
> > Michael Bauer wrote:
> >
> > > [distributed network, PING and PONG]
> >
> > Umm, I won't pretend to understand your entire protocol from this brief
> > description but I do applaud your attempt and your choice of programming
> > language. However, from what I understand, it sounds like your scheme
> > won't scale well with many users due to the high number of ping/pongs.
> >
> > Learn from the mistakes of others:
> > http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/mirror/gnutella.html
>
> Yeah, i already know this document. It actually does apply to our project
> but with a much lesser impact since we took some measures to reduce the
> amount of PING and PONG going through the network.
> Another problem with gnutella seems to be the shere number of search
> requests a user kicks off, while we produce network traffic rather seldom.
>
> > Good luck and I apologize if this problem does not apply to your
> > protocol.
>
> Thank you, i appreciated your reply :-)
>
> Mike

I'd be interested in learning more about your protocol and network. Do you
have anything up yet? Docs would be nice... I say this because I think it's
about time someone uses python for this application. Could be the killer
app that propells python into the mainstream.

--
Bryan Mongeau

"Scientific beliefs are supported by evidence, and they get results. Myths
and faiths are not and do not" -- Richard Dawkins