Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Dec 28 18:17:51 EST 2001

Dave Thomas wrote:

> ... Instead, Ruby will attract folks from outside the
> Python world. Ruby and Python differ in philosophy and _feel_. Some
> folks like one, some the other. I don't see it as competition. I see
> it as choice.

Is there really a difference? Pepsi and Coke are choices. They are also
in competition. They have a somewhat different taste but are more
similar than different. In the long run, there will come a day when
they've taken as much of the market share of other drinks away as they
will, and the primary competition will be between the two of them.

 Paul Prescod