What Are Some Good Projects For Novices?

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Aug 19 10:27:49 EDT 2001

On 19 Aug 2001 00:34:15 -0700, Paul Rubin <phr-n2001 at nightsong.com> wrote:
>philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:
>> Ones you find interesting.
>>
>> For example, if you are interested in email encryption, you might
>> want to have a look at my herprip program,
>> <http://www.vision25.demon.co.uk/oss/herbivore/herbrip.html>.
>
>Is there some reason you've defined your own protocol instead of just
>using S/MIME or OpenPGP?

My understanding of OpenPGP is that it doesn't provide for automatic
transmission of public keys (which is a vital part of my system,
because my goal is to make encryption totally effort-free for the
user). Nor does it encrypt header fields such as the Subject: line,
nor does it make secret the fact that an emauil contains a MIME
attachment (both of which could help an adversary, e.g. with
traffic analysis).

I haven't looked into S/MIME. Is there a web page with a good usmmary of
it?

--
*** Philip Hunt *** philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ***
"Welcome to 21st Century America, where the profits of the major