Compiling Python2.2a1 & losing command-line features

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue Aug 7 07:05:47 EDT 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Paul Johnston wrote:

> I have used binary and source-compiled versions of Python.  In every case
> where I use the latter my Python environment loses all its normal niceties
> like backspace, line-repeat, etc.  Is there a setting or configuration item
> I need to set to get these back?

For whatever reason, you aren't getting the readline module when you build
Python.  You need to investigate why the readline build section of
setup.py (in the top level of the Python source tree of 2.1+) is not able
to build the module.  Bonus points for submitting a patch to the Python
patch manager that resolves the problem on your platform.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia