optimization issues on an SGI system

Mary Haley haley at niwot.scd.ucar.edu
Wed Aug 29 17:56:20 EDT 2001

In article <9mjl68$f6fu4$1 at fido.engr.sgi.com>, Nhi Vanye <offer at sgi.com> wrote:
>$ from haley at niwot.scd.ucar.edu -#158679 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"
>>
>>While I realize that there's not much a developer can do about a
>>compiler optimization problem, I'm mentioning it here for 3 reasons:
>>1) in case it helps other SGI python users to create a faster version
>>of python, 2) on the wee possibility that there is a solution to this,
>>and 3) I have dreams of kicking the optimization level up to "-O3"!
>
>I'm assuming that you've built Python as N32 ?

Yes, I have:

% file python
python: ELF N32 MSB mips-4 dynamic executable (not stripped) MIPS - version 1

>If you haven't done it already, I'd suggest filing a bug. Of course
>its going to be difficult to reproduce it without a samll (non-python)
>test case. But at least it would be documented.

Thanks for your response.  I'm not very familiar with python source
code, but I'll see if I can't narrow down the problem before I send it
off.

But, if there's a python developer out there with an SGI system and
free time on his/her hands. . .<hint> <hint>

--Mary