Question: posix fcntl module

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 29 18:56:28 EDT 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:18:17 GMT, mats at laplaza.org (Mats Wichmann) wrote
in comp.lang.python in article <3b8c6396.98182759 at news.laplaza.org>:

:On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:25:51 GMT, Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net>
:wrote:

::Am I correct, then, in interpreting these together, to mean, that I will
::get greater portability/control if I use fcntl.lockf than if I use
::fcntl.flock? Because, as I read this, fcntl.lockf may work in situations
::where fcntl.flock does not (especially over NFS?).
:
:while 1:
:    print "don't do locks over NFS!"
:
:
:This position may POSSIBLY be able to be softened for NFS V4.
:Mats Wichmann

I appreciate the input/feedback. However, simply "don't do locks over
NFS" is a bit brief. Could you elaborate? Why not? What problems does
this create? Why might the situation improve in NFS V4?

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/