proper install directories?

Martin Brown mjbjr at best.com
Fri Apr 13 07:48:33 EDT 2001

I've checked various "official" python web sites for info, but I remain
somewhat confused...

On a RH6.1 system...

A couple of months back, I decided to really "get into" python.  I checked
the "official sites", dug around a bit, and, eventually, downloaded 2.0
and successfully installed (as far as 'rpm' is concerned:

BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.i386.rpm
expat-1.1-1.i386.rpm
Tkinter-2.0-8.0-3.i386.rpm

Well, after some initial python programming excitement, I was distracted
by work and other things (Ruby) and kind of dropped the ball.  Recently,
old programs that used python and worked stopped working, and newer
python apps wouldn't begin to work, usually because they can't find the
right modules (gtk).

Earlier today, I started to try and sort things out, and found what looks
like a mess...

I've got 2 complete, not linked, python 1.5.2 distro's in:

    /usr/lib/python1.5
    /usr/local/lib/python1.5

I've got 2 identical, date and size, python 1.5.2 binaries, not linked:

    /usr/bin/python
    /usr/bin/python1.5

A third 1.5.2 binary, whose date and size don't match anything else:

    /usr/local/bin/python1.5

The python 2.0 distro:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.0

I've got 2 identical, date and size, python2.0 binaries, not linked:

    /usr/local/bin/python
    /usr/local/bin/python2.0

Also, doc's in regard to failed configuration/compilation of python apps
can suggest the use of $PYTHONPATH and $PYTHONHOME, which hasn't seemed
to make much/any difference.

Additionally, alot of newer apps still seem to be using 1.5.2 even though
2.0 has been out since October(?) of last year.  As a newbie to python,
should I be targetting 1.5.2 or 2.0?

This situation can't be right.  I need a plan.

What's the "official" way to set these dueling distro's?
Do I get rid of exact duplicates and link?
And what about $PYTHONPATH and $PYTHONHOME?

Any suggestions on the "correct" way to set this up, greatly appreciated!
--
                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                            - mjbjr at beaudesign.com -

    PGP Public Key ID: 0xCED9BD8A  Key Server: http://www.keyserver.net/en/