Deprecate self

Robin Thomas robin900 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 19:18:16 EDT 2001

At 01:51 PM 4/18/01 -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
>Because they expose an interface, a module can be treated as an instance of
>a class defined by the global definitions of that module (it's a recursive
>definition, and this is why other dynamic OO environments have the concept
>of "meta-classes" as well as classes, so as to break this recursion).

You're smashing into the type/class dichotomy again. Python types are not
classes, and if you wish to mush them together in your imagination, you can
waste a lot of your time before discovering, once again, that they really
are different.

Lots of people on this list, myself included, wish types and classes to be
unified, or at least brought much more closely together, in a future
version of Python.

Our preferred implementation method is to wish really really hard. When we
get frustrated from all that wishing, we make wild assertions and pick
fights to blow off steam.

If you want metaclasses, you have them, in a wry Pythonic way:

http://www.python.org/doc/essays/metaclasses/

robin900 at yahoo.com