Chocolate [was Re: Python Books for 2002]

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 06:29:12 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote in message
> [Konrad Hinsen]
> > Come to France - chocolatewise this is a highly civilized country.
>
> [Alex Martelli]
> > And not _only_ chocolatewise -- in bread AND wine AND cheese, as well
> > as in high-quality chocolate, I consider you guys the only ones on a
> > par with Italy...
>
> [Ben Wolfson]
> > What?  Everyone knows that India is on par with your rather
> > Eurocentric, if I may say so, selections, at least in bread.
>
> On the chance that these selections aren't so much Eurocentric as
> Anglophobic, I'd like to remind everyone that America Leads the World in
both
> Twinkies and Coke.  Although I have to admit that Mexican Coke is better.

Dunno 'bout Mexican Coke, but the US sure leads, in my book, on
such staples as steaks, corn chips (particularly blue-corn ones),
and tuna-salad sandwiches (for reasons that escape me, that
insipid bread of yours seems _ideal_ to house a tuna-salad
filling).  Oh, and micro-brews -- I'm not much of a beer expert,
and I'll generally take a Tuborg or a Carlsberg Elephant over
any other choice (Denmark really leads the world in this
respect, I feel), but I must admit that some of your cities
(at least Portland, Oregon) have an incredible, seemingly
endless variety of diverse and very interesting micro-breweries.

But your truly unchallengeable leadership is in *cocktails*.  I
have to patronize the costliest, poshiest downtown bars to get
*decent* martini cocktails around here -- most US cocktail bars
I know can do _at least_ as well for less than half the cost...!

Alex