Python 2.1 for Cygwin does not "threading"

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler at dothill.com
Thu Apr 19 11:48:47 EDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:57:57AM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> Neither.  Cygwin pthreads isn't ready for prime time yet, so the Cygwin
> Python is compiled without thread support for now.  See the NEWS file in
> Python's source distribution for other known Cygwin glitches.

Actually, I think that Tim meant README not Misc/NEWS in the Python
source distribution.

An easier alternative is to just read the Cygwin Python README that is
already on your PC located in:

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/python-2.1.README

The above clearly documents that Cygwin Python is configured as follows:

    configure --prefix=/usr --with-threads=no

and the reasons for doing so.

However, if you want to live on the bleeding edge, then one can build
Python 2.1 *with* threads OOTB under the latest Cygwin CVS or recent
Cygwin snapshot.  See the following for the current status of Cygwin
Python with threads enabled:

If thread support is really important to you, then feel free to
contribute.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler at dothill.com