Komodo in violation of Mozilla Public License?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 11 07:45:31 EDT 2001

"Ron Stephens" <rdsteph at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3AD2619D.7928E33 at earthlink.net...
> Please keep up the good work. I am open source and free software advocate
who
> loves ActiveState's products and wish them to make a lot of money. Please
do
> not criticize ActiveState. They are doing so much good for Python !!!! To
> criticize them is most ungrateful and not wise at all, IMHO

I too like ActiveState's contributions to the Python world, and am a regular
user of ActivePython. However, I don't think this should stop us raising
legitimate concerns about licensing. From the evidence so far, ActiveState
*have* thought about these issues, and have adopted a reasonable approach to
the marketplace.

Quoting from David Ascher:

"""
> >   Educational license - Komodo is free for educational and
> >     NON-COMMERCIAL purposes.  If you're using Komodo to learn to
> >     program, this is probably the one for you.
"""

This is also pretty unusual for a commercial product, so I think ActiveState
are doign everything they can to allow Komodo use on a free (as in beer)
basis. More strength to their arms. I had avoided going beyond the first
beta release because I had not known about this license. I may even start
using it again now.

regards
 Steve