Please explain why python rocks...

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Wed Sep 6 01:39:12 EDT 2000

"nemir" <nemir.remove at hotmail.spamenot.com> wrote in message
news:8FA79908Enemiria at 139.130.239.94...

> I am a complete coding newbie,  looking for a first language to learn.
>
> I consider Perl, I consider C++ (or even d-flat... bleyech), I consider
> Java, I consider javascript.

Explaining the virtues of Python to a newbie is difficult, so I'll just
explain why the languages you listed would be comparatively poor choices.

Perl is very very hard to read.  Many Perl users have switched to Python
because they found Python to be prettier and easier to read.  I have never
heard of a Python user switching to Perl.

C++ does have its virtues, but it is unbelievable complex and makes it very
easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  I would never recommend C++ to somebody
who doesn't have at least 5 years programming experience.

Java is basically a simplified C++.  It is safer than C++, but also less
powerful.  This would actually be a tolerable choice.  Python is better,
though, mostly because it is more flexible and powerful.

Javascript basically limits you to web page enhancements.

In general, Python is a good choice because it is both powerful and easy to
learn.

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com