newbie books

Wesley Chun wesc at baypiggies.org
Mon Sep 18 16:51:06 EDT 2000

In article <blv6ss8p6jcoo1e6embap4v9kf3v53c10k at 4ax.com>,
  David Arthurs <darthurs at nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
> I have no experience in programming.  I'm looking to learn python.
> Can anyone recommend some good books for a beginner?

david,

first of all, congratulations for deciding on using Python
as your first language.  as others have mentioned on this
list over the years, the syntax of Python is definitely one
of the easiest to pick up.

however, while there are a good set of Python books now on
the market, none really focus on an audience completely new
to programming.

there are several well-known excellent documents pertaining to
learning how to program with Python.  these are all available
from the Python edu-sig website: http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/

Instant Hacking: Learning to Program with Python
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~mlh/python/programming.html

Learning to Program (A. Gauld)
http://members.xoom.com/alan_gauld/tutor/tutindex.htm

Non-Programmers Tutorial (J. Cogliati)
http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist (Python version)
http://yhslug.tux.org/obp/thinkCS/thinkCSpy/index.htm
(there is also a Java version available elsewhere)

good luck and hope this helps!

-wesley

--
* "Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, TBP Fall 2000

* wesley.j.chun :: cyberweb.consulting :: silicon.valley, ca
* http://www.roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.