Python 2.0 naive question

drobinow at my-deja.com drobinow at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 22 10:56:56 EDT 2000

In article <ek6ygrEJAHA.329 at cpmsnbbsa09>,
  "Sergo" <badman718 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote in message
> news:LNBBLJKPBEHFEDALKOLCIEDHHHAA.tim_one at email.msn.com...
> >
> > 2.0b1 is a beta release:  it's not ready for production use.
However,
> it's
> > especially important for people afraid of breakage to try a beta.
If
> they
> > wait until the final release, it's too late.
> >

> I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand this statement. "too late"
> for what?
  You have a large project you are developing using 1.5.2.
  You say, "I'm not going to move to 2.0 until it's stable
   because this project is too important and I'm afraid there'll
   be some incompatibility that will make my code fail."
  Python 2.0final is released and everybody in the world loves it.
  There turns out to be an obscure incompatibility with 1.5.2 that
   could have been easily fixed if anybody had noticed. It prevents
   you from going to 2.0.
  Nobody wants to use your product because it is based on obsolete
   technology.
  You get fired.
  You say, "I wish I'd tried 2.0beta and maybe I could have reported
   the bug before 2.0final".
  But it's TOO LATE!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.