Is JPython fast enough (was: Is Python worth learning?)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Sep 14 09:20:07 EDT 2000

In article <39BE5700.BE446359 at earthlink.net>,
Charles Hixson  <charleshixsn at earthlink.net> wrote:
			.
>What's the speed of jPython?  I've heard the speed of Java slammed so often that the
			.
			.
			.
Shockingly good.  It floored me to see Jim Hugunin's measurements
in '98.

Different answer:  it depends.  Sometimes only a tenth as good as
you'd get with, say, tight Lua as an extension language, and
simply inadequate.  Sometimes better than anything a normal person
would code with lex and yacc.  A LOT of people have found it,
"good enough".

Barry, this question comes up often enough--do you have any plans
to publish simple benchmarks?  Maybe I'll help ...
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net