Python in game development?

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Fri Sep 1 17:52:09 EDT 2000

In article <ufwvgy2cjb.fsf at jfh00.fernuni-hagen.de>,
Heinrichmeyer  <fritz.heinrichmeyer at fernuni-hagen.de> wrote:
>This fib(x) tests are almost completely irrelevant.
>
>Some languages have big function call overhead (perl extremely, python
>also) but deliver i.e. easy to use multiple value return (perl, python).
>
>One should compare languages with benchmarks doing something userful
>(regexp match, hash access ...) which is done within the c-written
>backend anyway ....

How one should compare languages depends strongly on what one wants to
do with them.  I wanted to find out what the overhead per fundamental
operation was, roughly.

I suspect that, for most things where you do the heavy lifting yourself
(as opposed to spending most of your time in the backend), the
overheads per language will be within a factor of thirty or so of what
I measured.  Thus the claim that this test is useful.

It probably would be worthwhile to benchmark memory allocation, too,
but that's really hard.

Of course you are right that if most of your time is spent in regexp
match or something else written in C, the speed of your program will be
mostly determined by the speed of that backend stuff.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves