Public Domain Python

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Fri Sep 15 03:19:40 EDT 2000

Harry George wrote:

> Could the www.python.org site put up a web page (or section) which
> shows:
>
> a) Exactly which parts of "python" are copyrighted by CNRI.  Surely
> there are *some* modules and chunks of code that came from alternative
> sources.
>
> b) The architecture, indicating where chunks could be rewritten and
> hooked with the still-copyrighted sections (al a modula-3 and gcc).
>
> c) A check-off list for tasks to be done to gradually wean the code
> base from the license.
>
> d) Very clear specifications of the functionality, supportive of clean
> room reimplementation.
>
> I'd guess CNRI would get the message after maybe 2/3 of the work was
> done, and do a GPL.  But it would be a better implementation anyway
> for having been rethought.

I agree that your points a-d would be a very good thing.  However, they
entail a whole lot of work for somebody--and the Python team is probably
busy doing other stuff.

As to the GPL, the GNU folks are welcome and invited to waste their time
re-implementing Python (they seem to have something of a fetish for
re-implementing other people's ideas <wink>), but if you're suggesting
that development of the CWI/CNRI/BeOpen version of Python that we all
know and love cease in order that a new a "clean room" version be
written under the GPL, such a thing would definitely cause a riot...

civil-disobediance-to-the-stallman-empire-is-a-whole-lot-easier
   -<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com