Where is time.strptime()?

Gareth McCaughan Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
Sun Nov 5 17:14:32 EST 2000

Tim Peters wrote:

> If your question is why Windows doesn't have time.strptime, then, like the
> docs say, it's only available under "Most modern Unix systems".  The Windows
> C library doesn't supply it, so Python doesn't either on Windows.  IIRC,
> supplying strptime everywhere is already a feature request in PEP42.  That
> will happen if and when someone contributes unencumbered code+docs+tests to
> implement it.

The copyright notice on the version of strptime in FreeBSD
says:

 * Copyright (c) 1994 Powerdog Industries.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
 *    in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
 *    software must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed by Powerdog Industries.
 * 4. The name of Powerdog Industries may not be used to endorse or
 *    promote products derived from this software without specific prior
 *    written permission.

followed by the usual all-caps-to-make-sure-no-one-reads-it
disclaimer of warranty.

That looks sufficiently unencumbered to me. (Note that #3
is not quite the usual-but-now-discarded BSD advertising
clause.) Am I missing something?

Gareth McCaughan  Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
sig under construc