Python threads: backed by OS threads?

Richard Brodie R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Thu May 11 09:27:19 EDT 2000

"Courageous" <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote in message news:391A92A4.F64FF43A at san.rr.com...

> I see. Well, then all things considered, I have no idea why one
> would want to use python/OS threads at all. The uthread implementation
> on stackless really rips.

It depends on your reason for using threads. Sometimes, it just means
that you can write cleaner code. Having a multiprocessor, and using
multiple threads, and caring about the execution time of the Python
interpreter are putting you in something of a minority.

For one thing, it means that you are using an interpreted language
for something performance critical. In a lot of problems, the inner
loop is likely to end up in external modules which will multiprocess
fine anyway. If yours isn't one of them them sure, go ahead.