Python, COM, DAO, and Licensing

Jeff Kunce kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us
Fri Jun 9 11:03:36 EDT 2000

I wrote a python program that  manipulates
an Access database via COM and DAO.

I installed the "reditributable" DAO that
came with VC++ 5 on a client workstation
along with Python, win32 extensions,  and my program.
Pythonwin makepy works fine on DAO.

When my program tries to access DAO
via COM, I get something like:

    if oobj is None: oobj = pythoncom.new(self.CLSID)
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147221230, 'CLASS_E_NOTLICENSED', None, None)

About that error, Microsoft (Q151804) says that the
redistributable controls are licensed, and that you
must specify a valid License string when dynamically
creating the control.

Is there a way to specify a license string through
pythoncom? Can anyone give me a step-by-step,
or at least some example code?

Better yet, is there another version of DAO or something
similar that is not licensed, and will talk to pythoncom?

Thanks.

  --Jeff

NOT the Jeff from UMich who hates pythonwin :-)