A simple question

pehr anderson pehr at pehr.net
Tue Jun 27 15:50:19 EDT 2000

"Michael A. Howard" wrote:

> I am developing an application using Python/Tkinter that needs to look
> similar to a VB application (a language I am far more familiar with) as
> it will extend some functionality & we want the user interface to be as
> close as possible to the existing system.
>
> What I need to do is have a tabbed switchboard type menu screen with
> buttons for each program that the user will interact with. This has
> already been developed and went far faster than doing the same thing
> with VB.
> From the switchboard the user will select the program they want to run
> and it should open a new window for data entry/edit.
>
> None of the code examples I look at show me how to do this.
>
> Am I missing something really simple or is this task beyond the
> capabilities of Tkinter or Python?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you want to look like a VB app, check out wxWindows instead of
Tkinter.
I would prefer Tk for platform portability but wxWindows seems to be
catching up fast.  WxWindows uses the native gui widgets underneath,
so on windows it looks like windows, and on gnome it looks like gnome.

I've only played around with wxWindows a little so far but I've been
rather impressed with the state of development.
Download it and check it out. I'd love to hear how it works for your
application.

On the third hand, if you really only want to use your app on windows,
Buy a copy of the book "Python for Win32" which tells you the nuts and
bolts of building windows applications with python.
Not portable, but it may get you where you want to be the fastest.

	-pehr anderson